The FUture is Female with Paladin Women’s Basketball

Tierra Hodges notched her 1,000 career point as a Paladin.
Too+often+we+overlook+the+balance+of+nature+%26%238212%3B+Cordles+words+remind+us+not+to.+
Furman Athletics
Too often we overlook the balance of nature — Cordle’s words remind us not to.

On Feb. 5, Furman’s Lady Paladins took on East Tennessee State University at home. The season has been off to a challenging start: The Lady Paladins hold a 3-6 record in the Southern Conference and 7-11 record overall. Two big wins, over ETSU, provided a glimmer of hope and motivation for the team to finish out the season strongly. It was a pivotal game, not only for the Paladin Women’s basketball team, ending a four-game losing streak, but also for senior Tierra Hodges (#15) who eclipsed 1,000 career points.  

The timing of Tierra Hodges’ career points record could not have been better. It came just days after National Girls & Women in Sports day. Hodges has been a powerful presence on the court since her freshman year. Playing in 31 games, Hodges has averaged 5.6 points and 4.8 rebounds per game since freshman year. She was sidelined with an injury during the 2017-2018 season and bounced back the next season with 7.3 points and 7.6 rebounds per game, leading the team in double-doubles. Hodges was voted first team All-Southern Conference and was the Southern Conference player of the week three times in the 2019-20 season. In that same season, Hodges averaged 11.9 points and 10.9 rebounds per game, with a career high 21 points in a regular season finale against Wofford. She also led the team in double-doubles for the second season in a row. This year, she was named the Becky Harmon Mid-major Player of the Year in the preseason watch list.  When asked about the game, Hodges said, “Our team showed a lot of fight tonight. We have been through a lot of adversity this year and it continues to make us stronger every day, preparing us for March.” She also divulged that the focus of this season has been “developing their young team and continuing to build every day, not knowing what the next day will bring.”  

Hodges was not the only Paladin who was on fire; her teammates Sydney James and Maddie Griffon posted nine points each. Griffon brought serious energy to the court last night with three field goals, four steals and strong defensive play. Juniors Grace Van Rij and Greyson Boone also scored seven and eight points respectively. The team seems to specialize in shooting from the field and made a total of eight 3-pointers during this game, with 109 so far this season. With regard to the game, Coach Jackie Carson ’00 said, “I love how the team responded without Tate Walters, a starter and 3rd leading scorer. Many players took advantage of their opportunities and played disciplines, team basketball on both ends of the floor. I’m proud of the ladies for how they represent our program and university as female student-athletes and use their voices and platform to empower others to be great as well.”  

The Paladins faced ETSU again Sunday Feb. 7 in Timmons Arena. The Lady Paladins notched another impressive win. Two victories have this team feeling optimistic; they hope to continue this winning streak against Southern Conference opponent, UNCG, on Feb. 11.